Photo by MKLoeffler Photography

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Update on Baby #2

Hi friends! Our little baby has been growing for nearly 22 weeks now and I saw the OB today and got a good report. Her heart was thumping along at a steady 140 beats per minute and she's growing like a weed (which happens to be just the right pace!).

As you all might remember, the last several weeks of pregnancy with Eli were very difficult for me; I started going to the hospital with contractions every two minutes at 34 weeks and eventually quit going because the nurses and doctors weren't able to help me much. At 39 weeks, I had a cesarean section because Eli was breech, and during the surgery the doctor discovered that I have an extremely rare uterine anomoly that was causing all of the problems (I only have the right half of my uterus, so in essence, Eli only had half the room he needed). My new OB, Dr. Chad Caudill, has been wonderful to work with and he's been giving me great care. Today we discussed the plan for how to approach the second half of the pregnancy. For now, we wait.

On Thursday, June 17, I'll have another sonogram to determine how big she is, her position, and to look for any indications of early labor. If she is head down, Dr. Caudill suspects that I will go into labor very early and would have the option of having her naturally at my own pace or having another c-section at that time. If she's got her head in my right lung like Eli did, Dr. Caudill will do an amniocentesis (a sample of the amniotic fluid) to determine if the baby's lungs are mature and will schedule a c-section for as late as possible, which will be dictated by the amount of contractions and how I am doing.

God continues to amaze us with His protection and provision for this baby and we are daily thankful for His goodness. If you think of it, please pray that contractions will hold off until her lungs are developed and that she will be as healthy as an ox (however, don't pray that she'll be as BIG as an ox!). Thank you to all of you who bless us with your kind words, your prayer, and helping us out in the many ways that you all do!

In Christ,

Enormous Gwenny<><

1 comment: